Rhapsodies, spiritual musings, and practical advice on Island Living


Saturday, May 31, 2008

When city life gets tough - daydream.


sea snail on bladderwrack, originally uploaded by Oceanwood.

When the grind of city noise and speed start to erode my sense of well-being, I find it is time for a sentimental daydream. I suppose I could go for one of those Grand Dreams of becoming rich and famous, or embarking on a round the world trip, or envisioning how clean and tidy my house could be if I dedicated a serious bit of time to the task. But those seemingly impossible-to-obtain daydreams don't transport me out of the hustle and bustle of city life.

My daydreams -- the ones that really pour therapeutic ointment on the "blisters" I get as I rub up against traffic, concrete, and deadlines -- need to be tiny, perfect, little moments in my memory -- like this little snail I observed one day at low tide. It was one of the first warm days of Spring; and the seaweed was absolutely fresh and glistening in the almost setting sun. Heron and gulls occasionally flew by. It was a quiet moment. The ferry was across the sound. There was only a slight wisp of a breeze. The ocean barely made a sound as it kissed the shore.

And right there -- right on the seaweed in front of my foot -- was this little world of sea life. Many tiny snails slid across huge-for-them bladderwrack pillows. And in particular, this little snail caught my attention and posed for a photo. It was so small that I could not bend down far enough to see its body outside the shell. I needed to see this photo before I could really see the tiny creature. Now looking at the photo I am there --back on the beach -- once again receiving the gifts of the Ocean's tidal abundance, the Air's gentle salty fragrance, the Sun's enchanting sparkle and warmth, and the Shore's peaceful, rocky presence.

Of course, I plan on continuing to cultivate and perfect my Grand Dreams of what accomplishments and treasures this Life could have in store for for me. But when I need to heal my body's city-weary aches and disconnection from Nature, I will set aside the Grand Ideas and, instead, reach for a tiny, little daydream to soothe my Soul.


**********************************************************************************************************
*******           
Oceanwood Chronicles                                 credits and links             *******
***********************************************************************************************************

Photo credits: Photos by Jessica at Oceanwood.

Oceanwood Chronicles, copyright 2008 - Jessica at Oceanwood. Creative commons attribution, non-commercial sharing only (translation: feel free to quote me in context or use this entry but please always credit me for my work, thanks.) http://oceanwood.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing you daydream, Jessica. By doing so, I was almost able to imagine this magical place...
    However, I find blissful reminders of nature in action everywhere, even in the city! Yesterday, this very small, but perfect skunk crossed my path in the middle of Vancouver, oblivious to my presence....
    Love, E.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comments and will do my best to answer your questions. cheers, Jessica at Oceanwood