Rhapsodies, spiritual musings, and practical advice on Island Living


Thursday, September 1, 2011

Dear deer



A sure sign that I have left the city and have arrived on Denman Island is that there are deer everywhere. I suspect each animal has a tummy full of nutritious, organically grown garden treasures: rose buds, lettuce, beet tops, just ripening tomatoes, (do they ever go after the over-zealous zucchini?) from my neighbours' gardens. The deer have no doubt figured out the best way to steal into lush gardens looking for moments when -- just this once -- dedicated  gardeners forget to close their gates. Also, I often see the deer feasting on an endless supply the greenest lawn grass (thanks to the clouds frequenting the skies this season) I have ever seen in the month of August. I wouldn't be surprised to see that with all this excellent deer dining available that their fertility rates go up and we find ourselves with more foals next year. Perhaps next year there will be a bumper crop of spotted wobbly-legged twins?

Here are some photos of our dear deer doing what deer do best - eating!


********************************************************************************************************** ******* Oceanwood Chronicles credits and links ******* *********************************************************************************************************** Photo credits: Photos by Jessica at Oceanwood. Oceanwood Chronicles, copyright 2010 - Jessica at Oceanwood. Creative commons attribution, non-commercial sharing only (translation: feel free to quote me in context or use this entry but please always credit me for my work, thanks.) http://oceanwood.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments and will do my best to answer your questions. cheers, Jessica at Oceanwood