Rhapsodies, spiritual musings, and practical advice on Island Living


Tuesday, August 30, 2011

super-yummy kale chips

It's sunset and time to write again.

"What's that in the photo?" you ask.

Oh, you mean that mint tea in my favourite tea thermos?

"No," you say, "what's that stuff in the bowl?"

Oh, in the bowl. That's only my best discovery of the summer --  tahini-lemon kale chips.

I first tried kale chips made by Agate at Tao Organics. Good doesn't even start to describe these awesome chips. I even brought two bags with me to Oceanwood this summer. But those darlings were so delicious that they were gone in a finger-licking flash with no hope of more until I returned to the city in September. Since I could not wait that long for more kale heaven, I improvised my own recipe. You just HAVE TO try these for yourself. Here's how:

1) In your largest bowl, add a huge scoop of tahini, the juice of one lemon and some tamari to taste. Blend the mixture well with a large rubber scraper. Add enough water until you have the consistency of a thick gravy that still sticks to the walls of the bowl.

2) Rinse and shake off all the water from a bunch of kale (any variety). Holding on to the stem of a leaf in one hand, "zip" the leaves off with your other hand in one fast motion. Discard the ribs and stems and rip the leaves into large pieces.

3) Lightly crush some leaves into ball, then dredge the leaves through the tahini mixture. After each leaf is well-coated, lay out on dehydrator trays or cookie sheets. Dehydrate for 4-6 hours in a dehydrator or 2 hours in your oven set to the lowest setting. Store kale chips, gently packed, in air-tight jars to prevent them from grabbing moisture from the air and getting soggy. Now you are ready to enjoy your very own kale chips with a large mug of your favourite tea. Bon appetite!

**********************************************************************************************************       *******                Oceanwood Chronicles credits and links              ******* *********************************************************************************************************** Photo credits: Photos by Jessica at Oceanwood. Oceanwood Chronicles, copyright 2011 - Jessica at Oceanwood. Creative commons attribution, non-commercial sharing only (translation: feel free to quote me in context or use this entry but please always credit me for my work, thanks.) http://oceanwood.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments and will do my best to answer your questions. cheers, Jessica at Oceanwood